Life...you have a plan of how you want and think it will go. You follow the steps to achieve all you have dreamed of but occasionally life will throw you a curve ball that will derail all of your original plans. You are left collecting the pieces, trying to put the puzzle back together and trying to figure out what to do when all of your dreams fall through. This is the story of us, picking up our pieces...

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Feast or Famine…


I can’t seem to hit a happy medium.  My blood levels have been all over the place.  This cycle has not been as smooth as the last.  Just in the last 10 days I have had my blood drawn 6 times, 5 ultrasounds, and had 16 different needles in me, that’s not even my whole cycle this time either….just 10 days!!  I started off my cycle with with my estrodial levels at 45.  I was using 1.5 vials of FSH this time vs the 1 last cycle to hopefully produce more eggs.  My levels got into the 80’s by my first blood draw.  Then the one after that randomly dropped to 52.  In an attempt to increase them again we increased my dosage from 1.5 vials to 2, which I preferred.  Mixing the solution to make 1.5 vials sucks.  You actually have to pay attention, add and subtract…I don’t want to deal with that.  There’s already too much going on when you are mixing as it is.  Anyway…my levels had increased and were responding nicely to the 2 vials.  Last Friday I had increased to 266 …getting close to having matured eggs!  Yesterday I went in for more blood work.  If my levels were up high enough the Dr’s would have me come in today for an ultrasound.  Well…my levels were at 1108 defiantly up.  After I saw the blood results the nurse called me in a panic, told me to stop my shots and to come in this morning for more blood and an ultrasound to make sure everything was okay. 

The ultrasound didn’t go exactly as I had hoped and planned but I am happier with this result than the prior cycle.  We started with the right ovary, like always: 1 egg….2 eggs….3 eggs….4 eggs….5 eggs…was there something wrong with the ultrasound wand, am I just seeing tons of tiny eggs…what the heck is going on here!  On to the left side, this side is stubborn and didn’t produce last time: 1 egg….2 eggs….maybe a 3rd too????  I didn’t really know what was going on because she wasn’t saying much at first.  I think she was so quiet because she was shocked and amazed…and soon I was too. We have 7 eggs.  7 eggs!!  She made an executive decision, and apologized immensely, to terminate the cycle. I won’t be the next octomom but I also won’t be conceiving this time around. 

It’s been so long since I have had a period or had hormones like this running through my body, I don’t remember what your body is supposed to feel like.  M boobs are so swollen, I feel like I am having problems keeping them in my bra comfortably and my nipples hurt to touch.  I asked the Dr. if this is what normal people feel like or if something is going on with me.  Apparently this is what all you women go through each month…I am sorry!! My body isn’t use to having the hormones and is just responding to them.  It feels strange whatever it is!

I have mixed emotions about this cycle.  I am thrilled that my body produced that many eggs but I am also sad that nothing will come of it.  I am concerned that we will not ever get that many again too which will make it virtually impossible to conceive like the last cycle.  Against my wishes, I grabbed a handful of condoms from the Dr.’s office.  I am tempted to poke pine holes in them but Dave has already threatened me should I tamper with them!!  In 2-3 weeks I should start my period, we will start the shots all over again and hope for a happy medium….


No comments:

Post a Comment