Life...you have a plan of how you want and think it will go. You follow the steps to achieve all you have dreamed of but occasionally life will throw you a curve ball that will derail all of your original plans. You are left collecting the pieces, trying to put the puzzle back together and trying to figure out what to do when all of your dreams fall through. This is the story of us, picking up our pieces...

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

If at First You Don't Succeed...

Two weeks after the shots came and went and yet there was still no period.  Every day was a let down.  I would go to the bathroom in hopes of starting my period and was crushed over and over again each time.  I finally called the Dr. and let her know the news and asked where we go from here.  We had been to other consultations and seminars and were given advice from other specialists as to what steps to take to finding out what was wrong.  I knew that we needed to have my fallopian tubes x-rayed and also needed to have an ultrasound of my uterus and ovaries.

My Dr. however wanted to "just wait it out".  She thought that we should wait 6 months to a year and see what happens and then we can reevaluate it at that point.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME???  I was obviously not okay with this answer.  I called the fertility clinic back and requested a second opinion.

Unfortunately there are only 3 fertility specialists in the department, so I guess I better like one of the other two.  Both of the other Dr's have their own private practice where they do in-vitro fertilization ("IVF").  One of them is a woman who has had IVF done herself.  The other is a male Dr who actually performed her IVF.  I made my appointment with Dr. Wong....the one who has the track record of making it work :)

I went into Dr. Wong's office ready for fight for what I wanted.  I was not going to sit there and take anything less than what I wanted done.  I wanted answers.  I sat down in the chair and before I could even say anything Dr. Wong said "Amber, what you have is hypothalamic amenorrhea and the only way to treat this is to put you on daily injectables.  But before we waste our time with that I want to do x-rays and an ultrasound to rule out any other possibilities."  Are you kidding??  Thats all I had to do, just sit there?  I didn't have to fight, I didn't have to tell him my feelings or what I wanted.  He knew what was wrong and how to fix it or at least had a plan.

He had also given me insight on hypothalamic amenorrhea.  Apparently this is a problem that is out of my control, which some people didn't think was the case.  This was not caused due to my exercise, my eating habits or because I am a stress case.  Hypothalamic amenorrhea is caused by the hypothalamus.  This portion of the brain that has many different functions one of which includes your production of estrogen.

Finally we are getting somewhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment