Life...you have a plan of how you want and think it will go. You follow the steps to achieve all you have dreamed of but occasionally life will throw you a curve ball that will derail all of your original plans. You are left collecting the pieces, trying to put the puzzle back together and trying to figure out what to do when all of your dreams fall through. This is the story of us, picking up our pieces...

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

When There is Smoke, There is Fire....

I know that many people try to conceive for a quite a while before having success so I tried not to be dissapoited the first few months.  After several negative pregnancy tests and finally paying attention to the red flag that had not just been waving in my face but was practically on fire, I called the Dr. to make a routine appointment.  


In February of 2011 I went to my OB to discuss starting family and just to make sure everything was fine.  There was one bit of information that seemed to concern her, but not too much.  For the last two and a half years I have not had a period.  Yes, I know...I am stupid for not doing anything about it earlier or thinking anything of it but really...who's going to complain about not having a period??  The Dr. didn't seem overly concerned.  She said that being on the pill for so long can often cause women to lose their periods but it will start back up shortly after stopping.  


Two weeks after my appointment I got a call from the Dr. stating that my pap came back with abnormal cell growth.  As you can imagine I freaked out.  What if I had cancer?  It does run in my family.  My mom had had precancerous cells on her cervix when she was younger...what if it was happening to me now?


Two looooong weeks later I went in for my biopsy.  I remember the Dr. walking in the room and asking me if I had any questions.  Do I have any questions?  Are you kidding!  I had like a million questions but none could come out at that  moment.  I quietly told her yes and then immediately started balling.  I told her my fears of this affecting our chance of conceiving.  She reassured me that the abnormal cell growth should not affect that.  She went on and completed the more than painful biopsies and wrapped everything up with follow-up questions.  


When we got to the question about my cycle she wasn't as positive and upbeat as she was earlier.  She let me know her concerns and also her approach to trying to solve the mystery problem...  

No comments:

Post a Comment