When we started this whole game, my estrogen levels were at 40-45 for months. For each mature follicle (egg) your body will produce roughly 100-600 pg/ml of estrogen. So as you can see at 40 I was not producing any mature eggs.
Not only had I given myself shots every day, I had to go in and have my blood redrawn every 3 days to check the levels. The first time I went in to have my blood checked after starting the FSH my estrogen had increased to 84. Almost double of what it was originally! I continued with the shots and scheduled an appointment a few days later to come in for an ultrasound to see how the eggs were maturing and how my ovaries were reacting. They had hoped that by the time I came in for my ultrasound my levels would be over 100 and I would have a mature egg. When my levels came back at 208 I nearly fainted! I was so excited that my body was responding so well to the drug. Now was the moment of truth....the ultrasound.
I was so nervous when I went in, who knows why. The ultrasound was not bad but it also wasn't great. We only had one mature egg. I was hoping for more, as were the Dr's, simply to increase our chance when we did the intra-uteral insemination ("IUI") but at least we had one.
At that point I was told to administer one more vial of FSH, do the HCG trigger shot on Fridayat 10:00 pm and Sunday morning we would go in for IUI.
The FSH shot that night wasn't bad, same as always, but the HCG shot on Friday was awful! It wasn't the shot that hurt it was the pain that came 5 minutes after. I had the worst shooting pain from the site of the injection into my belly button. As time passed the pain subsided but never went away.
The following day the site was still very sore and now had a red spot which turned into a bruise. When we went in for IUI on Sunday I asked the Dr. about it and she said it was normal. Regardless, how can one little shot hurt so bad??
No comments:
Post a Comment